The Comenius programme focuses on the first phase of education, from pre-school and primary to secondary schools. It is relevant for all members of the education community: pupils, teachers, public authorities, parents’ associations, non-government organisations, teacher training institutes, universities and all other educational staff.
Part of the Lifelong Learning Programme, Comenius seeks to develop knowledge and understanding among young people and educational staff of the diversity of European cultures, languages and values. It helps young people acquire the basic life skills and competences necessary for their personal development, for future employment and for active citizenship.
Comenius has the following goals:
- To improve and increase the mobility of pupils and educational staff in different Member States
- To enhance and increase partnerships between schools in different Member States, with at least three million pupils taking part in joint educational activities by 2010
- To encourage language learning, innovative ICT-based content, services and better teaching techniques and practices
- To enhance the quality and European dimension of teacher training
- To improve pedagogical approaches and school management
Taken from the EACEA Official Site