The objective of the action programme in the field of lifelong learning 2007-13 is to develop and foster interchange, cooperation and mobility, so that education and training systems become a world quality reference in accordance with the Lisbon strategy. It thus contributes to the development of the Community as an advanced knowledge-based society, with sustainable economic development, more and better jobs and greater social cohesion.
To realise this general objective, the programme pursues specific objectives concerning lifelong learning in the European Union (EU).
Among the overall objectives we report some of the most important which aim to:
- contribute to the development of quality lifelong learning and to promote high performance, innovation and the European dimension in systems and practices;
- help promote creativity, competitiveness, employability and the growth of an entrepreneurial spirit;
- promote language learning and linguistic diversity;
- support the development of ICT-based resources;
- reinforce their role in creating a sense of European citizenship based on respect for European values, as well as tolerance and respect for other peoples and cultures;